News & views
News, views and top tips
• You must be ‘registered’ or obtain a ‘licence’ to store fireworks
• You must obtain a ‘licence to sell fireworks’ if you intend to supply (sell) outside the usual fireworks period.
• You must do a thorough risk assessment to ensure they are being stored and sold safely, including considering how you can prevent a fire starting, stop it from spreading and protect people in the event of a fire.
• Store fireworks safely – keep away from sources of ignition including any portable space heaters
• Do not sell fireworks to under 18s and always ask for proof of ID
• You must carefully plan and ensure all staff know their fire drill and what they should do in the event of a fire
The Fireworks Regulations 2004 require that Retailers must display a sign where fireworks are supplied from, stating that it is illegal:
1. To sell adult fireworks or sparklers to anyone under 18;
2. For anyone under 18 to possess adult fireworks in a public place
HSE have put together a useful leaflet that provides good advice to those planning to sell fireworks and can be foundat: http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg407.pdf